2 Tbsp olive oil (optional) or better yet water sauté the veggies
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used more)
1 large red onion, 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (I don't toast them and it's still great)
1 medium eggplant, 1/2-inch dice
2 large, ripe tomatoes
2 small zucchini, 1/2-inch dice
2 small yellow squash, 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup vegetable broth (I usually add more, make it how you like)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1. Heat a heavy-bottomed sauce pain over medium heat for a minute and add some water for sautéing.
2. Add onion, garlic, and pine nuts and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion slightly soft.
3. Add broth and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until eggplant tender.
4. Add tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash and cook for about 10 more minutes or until zucchini and squash tender but still firm to the bite and brightly colored.
5. Stir in minced oregano about a minute before cooking is finished.
I like to serve over some quinoa. The pine nuts make this dish, so don't leave them out.