Yields 6-8 servings
1 large head cauliflower (cut into bite-sized pieces)
olive oil spray
3 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 medium sweet onion (peeled and diced)
2 large cloves garlic (peeled & chopped) (I used an extra one because I love garlic)
7 cups water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I used a bit more - season to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place cauliflower on an ungreased cookie sheet and lightly spray with olive oil.
3. Roast for about 20-30 minutes or until the cauliflower bits turn golden brown and tender but not mushy.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Place sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and water into a large pot and bring to a rapid boil.
6. Add salt and stir thoroughly.
7. Cover the pot, lower the heat, and allow to simmer until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
8. Add roasted cauliflower and let soup cool for a while.
9. Transfer half the soup to a high-speed blender and blend until you obtain a smooth mixture.
10. Combine mixture from blender with rest of soup in pot and stir thoroughly.
11. Add black pepper.
12. You may reheat the soup or serve it chilled.
NOTES: I also added nutritional yeast, just because I love it. You may want to add more salt or pepper depending on your tastes (or any other seasonings). I used an immersion blender so saved myself the step of transferring to a blender.