- 2 medium eggplants
- 1.5 medium zucchini
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 15-oz can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup spinach (or more)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- sea salt, to taste
- vegan Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F. Peel the eggplants and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Lay on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until shrivelled.
- While the eggplant is baking, thinly slice the zucchini and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all other ingredients, except for Parmesan cheese, until smooth. Set aside.
- Once everything is prepared, lower oven temperature to 425F. Grease a rectangular casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices over the sauce.
- Spread 1/2 the bean mixture over the eggplant.
- Put half the zucchini on top.
- Add a layer of sauce. Repeat eggplant, bean mixture, zucchini, and sauce.
- Place the final layer of eggplant on top and pour the remaining sauce evenly over top, spreading with a spoon.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before garnishing with vegan Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serving.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Based on 6 servings, each serving yields approximately 240 calories and 12g protein.