- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only
- 6 cups almond milk, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Wash sweet potatoes and poke each a few times with a knife.
- Wrap each potato in foil and bake at 350F for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Alternatively, you can cut each sweet potato in half and arrange in a single layer in a large microwave-safe casserole dish. Add a thin layer of water to the bottom, cover, and microwave for 16-18 minutes, or until tender, turning them over halfway through cooking.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, cut the base and green top off each leek. Slice the leeks lengthwise and rinse throughly. Then, slice leeks across the grain into half-inch semicircles.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook leeks, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so. If leeks begin to stick, add a little water.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking leeks, covered, for another 20 minutes. Stir every 2-3 minutes and add a little water (1-2 tbsp) as needed to prevent sticking.
- Remove pot from the heat and scoop flesh from sweet potatoes (no skin) into the pot with the leeks.
- Add 4 cups almond milk, salt, nutmeg, and ginger to the pot. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Add the other 2 cups of almond milk and stir.
- Warm over low heat if needed, stirring continuously. Serve hot with a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.
Prep time: 50 minutes